Saturday, July 10, 2010

I need a jelly roll or a honey bun!!!

Yes jelly rolls and honey buns sound amazingly delicious, however I am refering to the different bundles of precut fabric sold for quilting.
As a textile student I want to learn everything that remotely involves fabric, sadly not every skill is mastered and you get something like this.....



I dont hate it or anything Im actually warming up to it. This is my first attempt at making a quilt. Its a blanket I made for my niece. I found this tinkerbell fabric that I thought was super cute and since every girl needs purple in their life I choose a purple color theme.


Quilting is HARD! specially if you dont have perfect little cut fabric pieces which do exist in cute little bundles called fat quarters, jelly rolls, and honey buns. Im sure there are others and in different sizes and shapes. I just bought fabric I liked and cut it myself. I mean I cant cut straight if my life depended on it, I dont know what I was thinking but oh well I learnt from this experience.


The back is this organic fleece I found online fairly cheap and very soft!!!
ohh thats right this is my second blanket, I made one for my baby cousin last year but it was just printed fabric with a blanket binding around it.
So I still suck at sewing a binding piece, its tricky! it moves even though I pinned it and its just irritating to do. Any sewing pros have tips on how to do a semi perfect job on the binding?? or a nice alternative for a finished edge? Any tips for begginer quilting...although after this I dont know if I want to do much quilting :(
Thanks!
Happy quilting...well if you like quilting that is :/


0 comments:

Creative Commons License
All work by Johana Cordero is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.