Sunday, April 4, 2010

CROCHET MY CITY

I love love Crochet and knitting. I learnt how to do it a while ago but I really got into it when I began my textiles program. I remember always thinking that it was for grandmas...since my grandma used to knit me scarfs and hats. However! it is not haha it is a great way to release stress and pass the time doing something pretty. I been very fond of knit graffiti and thought I would post it up. Crews of nimble fingered knitters are brightening up the urban landscape with colourful yarn covering trees, statues and even entire buildings. This just looks amazing and its a great way to introduce creativity and color to our surroundings. This reminds me very much of the work of the lovely Francie V (Sister Valentine's hearts & crafts


She took over our school! This is a bike rack near our studio, she crochet this wonderful tube to give a new life to our bike rack :D


above: entitled 'tree cozy', this incredible crocheted outfit was made by carol hummel, took 500 hours from start to finish, and stood for 3 years outside cleveland heights city hall until just recently.


abovetop left - a knitted handrail cover near tullikamarinaukio square, finland, by knit seatop right - a tagged guard chain in stockholm, left by the prolific masquerade crewbottom left - a mooring ring tagged in stockholm, again by the masquerade crewbottom right - a grateful and warm lampost in houston, texas. dressed by members of knitta please.

 above: this old abandoned gas station in syracuse, new york, was knit graffitied to within an inch of its life after a worldwide effort was initiated by artist jennifer marsh. over 3'000 panels were stitched together to cover the building and not even the pumps were left uncovered. 

AREN'T THEY WONDERFUL! if you're looking for more knit graffiti, following THE links below...

knit sea
knitta please
knitted landscape
ladies fancywork society
masquerade
micro-fiber militia
yarnbombing
jafagirls

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey lady thanks for linking to my blog, i'm currently in the works of switching over to blogspot so keep an eye out for the switch up!

Katherine Johana said...

will do...and also let me know and I can change the link :D..yay yarn!

Creative Commons License
All work by Johana Cordero is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.